Friday 18 May 2012

Town of Runners

"In Bekoji, running is a way of life"

Well worth watching, a good documentary. It is actually less about running and more about life in Ethiopia.

I think I was naive going into the film. Over the last year I have come to a much clearer understanding of my running, and for me it is like Scott Jurek says in the previous blog post, it is about joy and it is the ultimate expression of "this is what I am for". Maybe the runners in Ethiopia do have a similar love of running, but as the director explained in a Q&A after the film, they never run "for fun". Running for them is a chance to escape poverty, it is a job, when they run they are at work. This left me with mixed feelings after the film - it was inspiring, but in a different way than the Born to Run movement is inspiring.

Check out www.townofrunners.com to find your nearest screening.

No comments:

Post a Comment